Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have given companies tools to interact with their customers in ways that would have been inconceivable not long ago. Many companies have experimented with social media, for instance registering a company Facebook page and posting the occasional comment. However, for the best results, it is important that you outline and execute a well thought out social media strategy.
Social Media Strategy Elements
Some core components to keep in mind include:
- Plan ahead – Proactively creating a content plan for social media enables you to target and piggyback on the momentum behind certain events. For instance, on Star Wars day (May the 4th be with you!) you’ll no doubt have seen countless references to Star Wars on social media. Or for Vegetarian Week (13th -19th May) you could expect to see a coordinated approach to sharing relevant content throughout the week.
- Be agile enough to react – One of the great benefits of social media is that it enables you to respond very quickly to external events that are occurring. Many companies have been applauded for seemingly quick-witted responses online, or humorous commentary of current affairs – but planning this reactive content requires a dedicated social media strategy.
- Make it interactive – Social media is interactive by nature, but you can make it even more so depending on the type of content you post.
- Ask questions – Rather than simply posting content, ask your customer what they think and take time to respond to their comments.
- Run competitions – This is a great way to drive up interest in your social media platform. Engage your customers through competitions and encourage them to share the competition with their connections.
- Be part of the conversation – Don’t be shy on social media, follow the discussions that your customers are having and join in the conversation, proactively addressing any questions that people might have.
Combining all three of these elements will give you the best results is the cornerstone of a successful social media strategy, allowing you to plan strategic campaigns for events (like Vegetarian Week) while still having the agility required to respond to ad hoc opportunities.
AsOne – Social Media Partners
Crafting and implementing a social media strategy for your business is a skill that should never be underestimated, and most businesses recruit the support of expert agencies to help them get the best results.
At AsOne we work with many longstanding customers to help drive their social media following as part of a broader, integrated digital business development campaign.
For more information on how a successful social media strategy could help to drive your business forward, and guidance from industry leading experts, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’re proud to be associated with the NEBSF program, meaning that businesses based in the North East could be eligible for grants of up to 40% off the first project.