By most estimates, Google commands over 90% of search engine market share, therefore it is of little surprise that many businesses want to know how to improve Google ranking for their sites. This can be particularly true for localised listings, where users are typically drawn to the small number of search results that make the first page.
Thankfully there are a number of steps that you can take that will help to boost your sites performance in Google.
Techniques to Improve Google Ranking
While the inner workings of Google’s ranking algorithm remain a closely guarded secret, several factors are widely known. Understanding these factors enables marketers to implement changes that will make Google look on their pages favourably.
There are a variety of techniques that can be implemented, including:
- Content creation – Original content is the cornerstone of any strategy to boost search engine rankings. This will no doubt include blog posts and articles, but could also feature useful infographics, images or videos.
- Keyword Research – There are a variety of keyword research tools available that will help you to understand the competitiveness of certain key terms. By focusing on specific terms that other people aren’t, it’ll be easier to get to the top of the rankings.
- On page SEO – While high quality, natural content is always preferred, you can take certain steps to help Google understand the types of keywords you’re trying to rank for. For example, you could include your key word in the meta-description, image titles, or image alt tags.
- Link building – Google looks at the number, quality and variety of websites that link to individual pages as an indication of their authority. High quality content will naturally attract links, but you can help to accelerate the process by promoting your site, and specifically asking people to link to it.
- Mobile friendly – Google want to promote a great user experience to its customers, and given that more and more search traffic is through mobile devices, Google now actively penalises sites that are not mobile friendly.
These tips can be used tactically to boost your ranking, but the generation of high quality, original, naturally-written content should be your main focus. Ultimately Google wants to reward the most relevant content for its customers, so high quality content will win out over the long term.
The AsOne Approach
At AsOne, we’ve been helping to boost the search engine performance of our customers for over a decade. Having worked with clients from across multiple industries, we have a keen understanding of what works and what doesn’t. Our tech teams are well placed to make technical updates to your site to make it more suited to Google’s requirements, such as ensuring it is mobile friendly and with the necessary security certificates. In parallel, our content teams can help craft a calendar of relevant content that will ensure you rank well for all your target search terms.
For more information on how AsOne can help you improve Google ranking for your pages, or about digital business development more generally, don’t hesitate to get in touch and speak to one of our experts. Contact us today.